I'm happy to announce that Python(x, y) 126.96.36.199 is available for immediate download.from any of the mirrors. The full change log can be viewed here. Please post your comments and suggestions to the mailing list.
Work on the 64 bit & 3.x versions progresses slowly but surely. They will happen eventually :)
What's new in general:
- The official Visual C++ for python 2.7 has replaced MinGW as the bundled compiler. Finally everyone can enjoy native python binary extenions for win32. MinGW is still available as an additional plugin.
- Console2 has been replaced with ConsoleZ - an actively developed fork. Which adds split views and many other improvements.
- Maintaining 2/3 code base is much easier with the inclusion of python-modernize. Also all backports have been updated and expanded with unittest2.
- All packages updated to their latest versions (at the time) - IPython, GDAL, SciPy, ITK, VTK. sqlalchemy, Astropy, SWIG etc.
- User Local install support has been revived - it is still experimental though.
- Numpy has been held back at 1.8.2 to avoid potential compatibility issues.
New noteworthy packages:
- cvxpy- A domain-specific language for modeling convex optimization problems in Python.
- grin - Utility which searches directories of source code better than grep or find.